Monday 21 March 2011

Black Gold and Dying


Above are some pieces of cotton lace before I dyed them with advocado skins. The lace came from some chair backs that my grandma had, my grandad always had brylcream in his hair so she used to have to protect the chair fabric.

During the dying process, alittle bit whiffy but not too bad, but not looking like a pale pink, mmm
And indeed it came out brown as you can see above with a piece of cotton undyed so you can see the difference. I still like it though and I'll try again for a pale pink.

Harvested my compost heap yesterday and was so pleased to see the most gorgeous black, crumbly compost in there. All from my vegetable peelings, old houseplants etc, so I spread it around the garden with glee, tee hee.

I put some around my precious tree peony which as you can see does not exactly look like a tree and I've had it two years and it's not flowered. Fingers crossed for this year, if Bill will only stop leaping on it. Can you tell from his face that I've just admonished him severely, well, ok, as severely as I can given he is just sooo cute :)

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea, I never knew you could dye fabric and lace with avocado skins, such a lovely color too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad spring has arrived. I need to get out in the garden,I wish time would slow down so I could fit more in!
    I tried dying with advocardo skins and mine wern't pink. Shall be pleased to know how you do it if you do manage pink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine how you could get pink from avocado skins! I like your images of Birmingham, I used to live near Redditch which isn't far from Birmingham.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dyeing experiments look fabulous! Can't wait to see what you do with them.

    Cheers,
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete

A big thank you for taking the time to pop by and comment, I really do appreciate it. Hope to see you at your bloggy home soon!